Tuesday, January 27, 2009

the catwalk.

Well hello there fellow blog-landers! I was thinking the other day about self awareness; and how often, we are absolutely clueless or just plain wrong when it comes to knowing ourselves. So I was thinking, what are the misconceptions you have had about yourself? For example, I used to think I was fairly shy and introverted, and then I voiced that opinion concerning my social skills and got one of those are you on something? looks. Okay. Cool. Has anyone ever corrected you, and they have been right? Have they been wrong? Do you come off differently to other people than who you really are? Are you not as Christian as you thought? It's incredible the way one negative comment can be worth more than a thousand posotives... but are they empty threats? Or do they have meaning?
Thoughts, please.

4 comments:

  1. I think I generally see myself as pessimistic, moody, quiet. But around other people, I'm loud, I'm always smiling. How do you see me?

    ReplyDelete
  2. thoughts?
    well, I think as I fellow human being, you can understand how easy it is for others to judge you. Even perfectly acceptable people can be picked apart and torn down by judgments. The things that gets me, is whether you are who you act... If you speak with a cold and sarcastic tongue, (i'm inclined to think) that that's partly who you are.. even if you could argue that you're actually "nice" deep down. I think we're all a mix of bad and good to different people, and even to ourselves. But ultimately I don't think people can be defined, so I've been trying to step away from that pitfall - (although, mind you I haven't gotten very far). I've realized, that if I don't even understand myself, I can't expect anyone else to "perceive my genuine nature". I think this helps me, personally not live within a box or up to the expectations that you might think others have of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Elle on this one. It's all how people read things or percieve. If there are "threats" made it doesn't help the person. Insecurity thrives here. I'm not sure how to end this...but i though I'd give my instant thoughts on it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. But couldn't peoples first impressions of you be distorted by the shield some people have adapted because of hard times? I love what you said Elle. There's a lot of truth to it, but I think defining yourself can giveyou confidence or self awarenss when what you're doing is maybe not right or who you actually are.

    ReplyDelete