Thursday, February 12, 2009

and now he sings songs I don't know.

He's one of those people that gets everything. Every joke he makes, someone laughs. Every whimper that slips out of his mouth, someone is there with their arms open, waiting for a hug. Every college prays that he will enroll in their institution, just so they can sport his awards and achievements in their all-too polished trophy cases. And I met him, once. Over spring break. A chance in a lifetime, if my sarcasm can capture that thought well enough. Somehow, our life lines were entwined for a few days, and it weaved itself into my every thought and heartbeat. Strangled, if you will.
Until he decided to let go. He threw my heart off to the side of his highway life, and just left me there. I was young. I still am. But he had me going, chasing him like a cat chases a toy, never ceasing until it goes away. He's still chugging along, sprinting down that road, looking for his next opportunity... his next fling. Maybe someone like me. Maybe some one more daring, or more entertaining on the phone. Who knows? Who will be able to capture this shooting star, flying fast and out of reach? I certainly don't, but I do know that my stomach turns a little every time I look back on that once in a lifetime chance in Jackson, Mississippi.

No comments:

Post a Comment